Montreal just announced plans to purchase 300 new hybrid buses.
Montreal mayor Valérie Plante just announced that the city will be adding 300 new hybrid buses to its fleet by 2020, a $225 million investment. The announcement, which will lead to a request for proposals, had many wondering when the STM would start looking for new drivers.
TVA Nouvelles reports that the STM will soon be looking for 600 new drivers to add to its staff, along with maintenance personnel for the additional buses. It’s a pretty sweet gig; salaries start at $51,000 after training, but in 2010, Canoe reported that overtime work allows many of them to earn salaries up to $130,000! Plus, the pre-screening process is not very demanding.
Pre-requisites for STM bus drivers:
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- 2 years’ work experience with the public;
- Valid class 5 Quebec driver’s licence, with 60 months’ driving experience recognized by the SAAQ;
- No more than 3 demerit points on your licence, and no suspensions or major offences;
- Adequate fluency in French.
The new buses will be state-of-the-art, featuring USB ports to recharge electronics. The 300-bus fleet will represent a 15% increase in the STM fleet’s overall size. At present, the STM owns just 166 hybrid vehicles.